Saturday, March 18, 2023

Personal pronouns: I and me etc.

 Here's a chart of personal pronouns in English, divided into subject pronouns and object pronouns:

Subject PronounsObject Pronouns
Ime
youyou
hehim
sheher
itit
weus
theythem

Subject pronouns are used when the pronoun is the subject of the verb, while object pronouns are used when the pronoun is the object of the verb or the object of a preposition.

Examples:

  1. Subject Pronoun: I am reading a book. (Here, "I" is the subject of the verb "am.") Object Pronoun: She gave the book to me. (Here, "me" is the object of the preposition "to.")

  2. Subject Pronoun: He plays soccer. (Here, "he" is the subject of the verb "plays.") Object Pronoun: She invited him to the party. (Here, "him" is the object of the verb "invited.")

Exercises: Choose the correct personal pronoun for each sentence.

  1. John and _____ are going to the store. (I/me)
  2. Can you help _____ with this problem? (I/me)
  3. They invited Sarah and _____ to the movie. (I/me)
  4. She told _____ a secret. (I/me)
  5. _____ can't find my keys. (I/me)

Answers:

  1. I
  2. me
  3. me
  4. me
  5. I

Remember that subject pronouns are used when the pronoun is the subject of the verb, and object pronouns are used when the pronoun is the object of the verb or the object of a preposition. Practice these exercises to help you understand and use personal pronouns correctly.


Here are ten sentences with blanks for you to fill in with appropriate pronouns:

  1. _____ is raining outside.
  2. Can _____ pass the salt, please?
  3. _____ should take an umbrella with us in case it rains.
  4. _____ told me that the meeting was postponed.
  5. The cat is chasing _____ tail.
  6. The teacher asked _____ to turn in our homework.
  7. Do _____ know when the next train arrives?
  8. Maria and _____ went to the store together.
  9. The book belongs to _____. _____ left it on the table.
  10. _____ is important to stay hydrated during hot weather.

Now, try to fill in the blanks with suitable pronouns. The answers are provided below:

  1. It
  2. you
  3. We
  4. She/he/they (depending on who is being referred to)
  5. its
  6. us
  7. you
  8. I
  9. him/her/them (depending on the person being referred to); They
  10. It

No comments:

Post a Comment