Tuesday, March 28, 2023

Noun + noun or preposition structure

 Noun + noun and preposition structures are common in everyday English. Here are some examples:

  1. Noun + noun:
  • Car keys
  • Book cover
  • Pizza toppings
  • Coffee mug
  • Desk lamp
  1. Preposition + noun:
  • Bookshelf
  • Underwear drawer
  • Overhead light
  • Onions in soup
  • Between friends

In these examples, the first noun modifies or describes the second noun, indicating its purpose or characteristics. In the preposition + noun structure, the preposition indicates a relationship between the two nouns.

Here are some additional examples:

  1. Noun + noun:
  • Computer mouse
  • Tennis racket
  • Baseball cap
  • Beach towel
  • Salad dressing
  1. Preposition + noun:
  • Above ground
  • Below deck
  • Alongside road
  • Inside house
  • Outside office

I hope this helps you understand some common noun + noun and preposition structures in English! Let me know if you have any other questions.


Here are some exercises to help you practice distinguishing between noun + noun and preposition structures:

  1. Fill in the blanks with either a noun + noun or a preposition structure:
  • The ___________ is in the garage. (car keys / keys of the car)
  • She put the book on the ___________. (book cover / cover of the book)
  • I ordered a pizza with lots of ___________. (pizza toppings / toppings on the pizza)
  • I need a ___________ for my coffee. (coffee mug / mug for coffee)
  • He turned off the ___________. (desk lamp / lamp on the desk)
  1. Rewrite the following phrases using either a noun + noun or a preposition structure:
  • The cat is sitting on the windowsill. -> The cat is sitting ___________.
  • I put my shoes in the shoe rack. -> I put my shoes ___________.
  • The teacher gave us a handout with the class rules. -> The teacher gave us a ___________ with the class rules.
  • The concert was held in a big stadium. -> The concert was held ___________.
  • The flowers are in a vase on the table. -> The flowers are in ___________.

Answers:

  • keys of the car
  • book cover
  • pizza toppings
  • coffee mug
  • desk lamp
  • The cat is sitting on the windowsill. -> The cat is sitting on the sill of the window.
  • I put my shoes in the shoe rack. -> I put my shoes in the rack for shoes.
  • The teacher gave us a handout with the class rules. -> The teacher gave us a handout of the rules for the class.
  • The concert was held in a big stadium. -> The concert was held in a stadium that was big.
  • The flowers are in a vase on the table. -> The flowers are in a vase on the table.

I hope this helps you understand the difference between noun + noun and preposition structures, and gives you some practice distinguishing between the two. Let me know if you have any other questions or need further assistance.

No comments:

Post a Comment