Friday, March 10, 2023

English conjunctions "and," "or," "but," "so," "because," and "although,"

 Here's a chart explaining the English conjunctions "and," "or," "but," "so," "because," and "although," along with examples and exercises:

ConjunctionUsageExample
AndTo join two or more items or ideas.I like coffee and tea.
OrTo give a choice between two or more items or ideas.Do you want pizza or pasta for dinner?
ButTo show contrast between two ideas.I want to go out, but it's raining outside.
SoTo show the result or consequence of something.I was running late, so I took a taxi to work.
BecauseTo show the reason for something.I stayed home because I was feeling sick.
AlthoughTo show a contrast between two ideas.Although it was raining, we decided to go for a walk.

Exercise 1: Choose the correct conjunction to complete the sentence.

  1. She wants to order pizza __ pasta for dinner. a) and b) or c) but

  2. I woke up late, __ I had to skip breakfast. a) so b) or c) because

  3. __ it was cold outside, we decided to go for a walk. a) And b) Because c) Although

  4. I like both coffee __ tea. a) and b) or c) but

  5. He didn't want to come to the party, __ he had other plans. a) so b) because c) although

Exercise 2: Create a sentence using the conjunction given.

  1. And Example: I like to read books, and I also like to watch movies.

  2. Or Example: Do you want to go to the park or the beach this weekend?

  3. But Example: I want to go to the party, but I have to finish my work first.

  4. So Example: I studied hard for the test, so I got a good grade.

  5. Because Example: I didn't go to the gym because I was feeling tired.

  6. Although Example: Although it was late, we decided to stay up and watch a movie.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any questions.

No comments:

Post a Comment