Tuesday, March 7, 2023

A and an

 Fatmir Mani's English School

English Made Easier

March 09. 2023


"A/an" and "one" are words used to refer to a single, unspecified item or thing in English. However, there are some differences in their usage.

Here is a chart to help explain:

Before a vowel soundBefore a consonant sound
"A""a book""a car"
"An""an apple""an umbrella"
"One""one apple""one car"

As you can see, "a" is used before a consonant sound, "an" is used before a vowel sound, and "one" can be used before either sound.

Here are some examples:

  • I need a pencil for class. (a specific item is not mentioned)
  • An elephant is a large animal. (a specific type of animal is referred to)
  • A boy is playing in the park. (a specific gender is referred to)
  • One apple is on the table. (a specific quantity of the item is mentioned)
  • A doctor helps sick people. (a specific profession is referred to)
  • An umbrella is useful in the rain. (a specific object is referred to)
  • One car is parked in the driveway. (a specific quantity of the item is mentioned)

Exercise: Fill in the blanks with "a", "an", or "one" in the following sentences:

  1. ___ pencil is on the desk.
  2. She is eating ___ apple for a snack.
  3. He drives ___ car to work every day.
  4. We saw ___ elephant at the zoo.
  5. ___ doctor helps sick people.
  6. She needs ___ umbrella because it is raining.
  7. ___ boy is playing on the playground.
  8. I want to buy ___ orange at the store.
  9. ___ chair is broken.
  10. There is only ___ cookie left in the jar.

=======

Fatmir Mani's English School

English Made Easier

March 08. 2023

Vendosni: a; an; ose one, ne pasazhin qe vijon:


I woke up this morning and went to the kitchen to make breakfast. I opened the fridge, but there was ___ egg left. I looked in the cupboard and realized I was out of ___ cereal. I decided to make toast instead, but I couldn't find ___ bread in the breadbox. I was really hungry, so I went to the store to buy ___ apple and ___ orange for a quick snack. When I got home, I made toast with the bread I had bought and spread some butter on it. As I sat down to eat, I realized I had forgotten to buy ___ milk for my coffee. It wasn't the best breakfast, but at least I had something to eat.

===========

Fatmir Mani's English School

English Made Easier

March 07. 2023

"A" and "an" are indefinite articles in English. They are used to refer to a non-specific or unknown noun, and are always placed before a singular noun. The choice between "a" and "an" depends on the sound of the first letter of the noun.

Here is a chart to help explain:

Indefinite ArticlesBefore a vowel soundBefore a consonant sound
"A""an umbrella""a car"
"An""an apple" "a book"

As you can see, "a" is used before a consonant sound, while "an" is used before a vowel sound.

Here are some examples:

  • I need a pencil for class.
  • An elephant is a large animal.
  • A boy is playing in the park.
  • An orange is a fruit.
  • A doctor helps sick people.
  • An umbrella is useful in the rain.

Exercise: Fill in the blanks with "a" or "an" in the following sentences:

  1. __ book is on the table.
  2. She is eating __ apple for a snack.
  3. He drives __ car to work every day.
  4. We saw __ elephant at the zoo.
  5. She needs __ umbrella because it is raining.
  6. He is __ doctor and helps people who are sick.
  7. I want to buy __ orange at the store.

No comments:

Post a Comment