Tuesday, April 25, 2023

Future in the past: other ideas

 There are other ways to express the idea that something was still in the future at a certain time in the past. Here are some alternative ways:

  1. Past continuous: You can use the past continuous tense to describe an action that was happening at a certain time in the past and was expected to continue in the future. For example: "At 5 pm yesterday, I was still studying for my exam, which was scheduled for the next day."

  2. Future perfect: You can use the future perfect tense to describe an action that will be completed at a certain time in the future, looking back from a past point in time. For example: "By the end of the week, I will have finished my project, which at the time was still in the future."

  3. Modal verbs: You can use modal verbs such as "would," "could," "should," or "might" followed by the base form of the verb to express an action that was still in the future at a certain time in the past. For example: "I thought I might go to the movies later, but I wasn't sure."

  4. Phrases: You can use phrases such as "at that time," "back then," or "in those days" to indicate the time frame you are referring to. For example: "Back then, we didn't have smartphones like we do now."

These are just a few examples of how you can express the idea that something was still in the future at a certain time in the past. The choice of tense and expression will depend on the specific context and what you want to convey.


Here are some illustrations and exercises to help you practice using different ways to express the idea of the future in the past:

  1. Past Continuous:

Illustration: "At 7 pm yesterday, I was still working on my project, which was due the next day."

Exercise: Rewrite the following sentence using the past continuous tense to indicate an action that was still in progress at a certain time in the past:

"At 10 am this morning, I was planning my schedule for the week ahead."

Answer: "At 10 am this morning, I was still planning my schedule for the week ahead."

  1. Future Perfect:

Illustration: "By the time we arrived at the hotel, we will have traveled for over 12 hours."

Exercise: Rewrite the following sentence using the future perfect tense to indicate that an action will be completed by a certain time in the future, looking back from a past point in time:

"At the time, I didn't know that I would finish the book by the end of the week."

Answer: "At the time, I didn't know that I would have finished the book by the end of the week."

  1. Modal Verbs:

Illustration: "I thought I could complete the task by the end of the day, but it turned out to be more difficult than I expected."

Exercise: Rewrite the following sentence using a modal verb to indicate the uncertainty of a future action at a certain time in the past:

"She said she would come to the party, but I wasn't sure if she would actually show up."

Answer: "She said she might come to the party, but I wasn't sure if she would actually show up."

  1. Phrases:

Illustration: "In those days, we used to go to the beach every summer."

Exercise: Rewrite the following sentence using a phrase to indicate a specific time frame:

"Last year, we went on a road trip across the country."

Answer: "At that time, we went on a road trip across the country."

I hope these illustrations and exercises help you understand and practice using different ways to express the idea of the future in the past.

No comments:

Post a Comment