Wednesday, April 19, 2023

Revision of modal verbs

 Here are some exercises to help you practice using modal verbs:

Exercise 1: Complete the sentences with the appropriate modal verb.

  1. I ____________ go to the gym every day, but I don't have time.
  2. You ____________ call your parents more often, they miss you.
  3. She ____________ study harder if she wants to pass the exam.
  4. We ____________ take the bus, it's faster than walking.
  5. They ____________ help us move the furniture, it's too heavy for us.

Answers:

  1. could
  2. should
  3. must
  4. could
  5. can

Exercise 2: Rewrite the following sentences using a different modal verb.

  1. "I can't lift this box, it's too heavy." - "I ____________ lift this box, it's too heavy."
  2. "I will help you with your project." - "__________ you help me with my project?"
  3. "You should call your doctor if your symptoms get worse." - "You ____________ call your doctor if your symptoms get worse."
  4. "They might not be home yet." - "They ____________ be home yet."
  5. "I must finish this report by Friday." - "I ____________ finish this report by Friday."

Answers:

  1. couldn't
  2. Could
  3. need to
  4. may not
  5. have to

Exercise 3: Choose the appropriate modal verb to complete the sentences.

  1. You ____________ take a jacket, it's going to be cold outside. (should/might)
  2. I ____________ to the party, but I'm not sure yet. (will/may)
  3. She ____________ the concert last night, it was amazing. (must have/could have)
  4. We ____________ be lost, let's ask for directions. (could/may)
  5. They ____________ finish the project by the deadline. (must/would)

Answers:

  1. should
  2. might
  3. must have
  4. could
  5. must

No comments:

Post a Comment