Friday, April 21, 2023

50 commonly used phrasal verbs

 Here are fifty commonly used phrasal verbs in English:

  1. Add up - to calculate the total of something
  2. Ask around - to ask many people the same question
  3. Back up - to move backwards
  4. Blow up - to explode or to fill with air
  5. Break down - to stop working
  6. Bring up - to raise a topic or subject
  7. Call off - to cancel
  8. Carry on - to continue
  9. Catch up - to reach the same level or position as someone else
  10. Check in - to arrive and register at a hotel, airport or hospital
  11. Check out - to leave a hotel or to investigate something
  12. Clean up - to tidy or clean something
  13. Come across - to meet or find something by chance
  14. Come up - to arise or happen
  15. Cut down - to reduce in size or amount
  16. Do over - to repeat something
  17. Dress up - to wear formal clothes
  18. Drop off - to fall asleep
  19. Eat out - to dine at a restaurant
  20. Figure out - to understand something
  21. Fill out - to complete a form
  22. Find out - to discover something
  23. Get along - to have a good relationship with someone
  24. Get away - to escape
  25. Give up - to stop doing something
  26. Go over - to review something
  27. Hang out - to spend time with someone
  28. Hold on - to wait
  29. Keep up - to maintain the same level or speed as someone else
  30. Knock out - to make someone unconscious
  31. Look into - to investigate
  32. Make up - to reconcile or to invent a story
  33. Pass out - to lose consciousness
  34. Pick up - to lift or to learn something new
  35. Put off - to postpone
  36. Put on - to wear clothing or to organize an event
  37. Put out - to extinguish or to inconvenience someone
  38. Run into - to meet unexpectedly
  39. Set up - to arrange or establish something
  40. Show off - to try to impress others
  41. Take off - to remove clothing or to leave suddenly
  42. Talk over - to discuss something
  43. Throw away - to discard
  44. Try on - to put on clothing to check the size or style
  45. Turn down - to decrease or to refuse
  46. Turn off - to stop working or to dislike something
  47. Turn on - to start working or to like something
  48. Turn up - to increase in volume or to arrive unexpectedly
  49. Wake up - to stop sleeping or to make someone else stop sleeping
  50. Work out - to exercise or to solve a problem.

Here are example sentences for each of the fifty phrasal verbs I listed earlier:

  1. Add up - The total cost of my groceries added up to $50.
  2. Ask around - I asked around, but no one knew where the missing keys were.
  3. Back up - You need to back up the car so I can get out.
  4. Blow up - The balloon blew up and popped in my face.
  5. Break down - My car broke down on the way to work this morning.
  6. Bring up - I didn't want to bring up the subject at the meeting.
  7. Call off - We had to call off the picnic because of the rain.
  8. Carry on - We can't just carry on as if nothing happened.
  9. Catch up - I need to work harder to catch up with my classmates.
  10. Check in - I need to check in at the hotel before 3 pm.
  11. Check out - Let's check out the new restaurant in town.
  12. Clean up - Please clean up your room before your friends come over.
  13. Come across - I came across an old photo album while cleaning out the attic.
  14. Come up - Something unexpected always comes up when I plan something.
  15. Cut down - I need to cut down on my sugar intake.
  16. Do over - I made a mistake on my paper and had to do it over.
  17. Dress up - Let's dress up for the Halloween party.
  18. Drop off - I always drop off during long car rides.
  19. Eat out - I love to eat out at my favorite Italian restaurant.
  20. Figure out - I need to figure out how to fix my computer.
  21. Fill out - Please fill out the application form completely.
  22. Find out - I finally found out who took my phone charger.
  23. Get along - My cat and dog get along well with each other.
  24. Get away - I need to get away from work and take a vacation.
  25. Give up - I won't give up on my dream of becoming a doctor.
  26. Go over - Let's go over the plan one more time.
  27. Hang out - I like to hang out with my friends on the weekends.
  28. Hold on - Please hold on while I transfer you to the correct department.
  29. Keep up - You need to keep up with the rest of the class.
  30. Knock out - The boxer knocked out his opponent in the first round.
  31. Look into - I need to look into the details before making a decision.
  32. Make up - Let's make up and be friends again.
  33. Pass out - He passed out after drinking too much alcohol.
  34. Pick up - Can you help me pick up the groceries from the store?
  35. Put off - I had to put off my dentist appointment until next week.
  36. Put on - I need to put on my coat before going outside.
  37. Put out - Can you put out the fire in the fireplace before we leave?
  38. Run into - I ran into my old friend from high school at the grocery store.
  39. Set up - I need to set up a meeting with my boss to discuss my performance.
  40. Show off - She loves to show off her new designer clothes.
  41. Take off - I need to take off my shoes before entering the house.
  42. Talk over - Let's talk over the details of the project before starting.
  43. Throw away - Don't throw away the paper; we can recycle it.
  44. Try on - Can I try on these shoes before I buy them?
  45. Turn down - I had to turn down the music because it was too loud.

No comments:

Post a Comment