Sunday, April 2, 2023

Irregular comparison

 Irregular comparison refers to the comparative and superlative forms of adjectives that do not follow the standard rule of adding "-er" and "-est" to the end of the adjective to form comparatives and superlatives, respectively. Instead, these adjectives have their own unique comparative and superlative forms. Here are some common examples of irregular comparison in English:

AdjectiveComparativeSuperlative
goodbetterbest
badworseworst
farfarther/furtherfarthest/furthest
littlelessleast
many/muchmoremost
oldolder/elderoldest/eldest

Examples:

  1. This book is good, but that one is better. (Comparative)
  2. Out of all the books I've read, this one is the best. (Superlative)
  3. I had a bad day yesterday, but today is worse. (Comparative)
  4. Yesterday was the worst day of my life. (Superlative)
  5. My house is farther from the city than yours. (Comparative)
  6. Mount Everest is the highest mountain in the world. (Superlative)
  7. I have less money than I did last year. (Comparative)
  8. Out of all the desserts, I like ice cream the most. (Superlative)
  9. My brother is older than I am. (Comparative)
  10. My grandparents are the oldest members of my family. (Superlative)

Note: It is important to remember that irregular comparatives and superlatives do not follow the standard rules, so they must be memorized as separate forms.

No comments:

Post a Comment