Tuesday, April 4, 2023

Have got: possession

 In English, "have got" is often used to indicate possession or ownership of something. It is similar in meaning to the verb "have," but is more informal and commonly used in British English. Here are some examples and exercises to help you understand the differences between "have got" and "have":

Examples:

  1. I have got a new car. (informal) I have a new car. (formal)
  2. They have got three children. They have three children.
  3. She has got a headache. She has a headache.

In these sentences, "have got" is used to indicate possession or a physical condition.

Exercises:

  1. Complete the following sentences with the correct form of "have" or "have got":

a) She ___________ a lot of friends in this city. b) They ___________ a big house in the countryside. c) I ___________ an appointment with the dentist tomorrow. d) He ___________ a cold and is staying home today. e) We ___________ to be at the airport by 5 pm.

  1. Rewrite the following sentences using "have got":

a) I have a new phone. --> __________________________________________________________ b) They have a lot of money. --> ______________________________________________________ c) She has three cats. --> ____________________________________________________________ d) He has a job interview next week. --> ______________________________________________ e) We have two cars. --> ____________________________________________________________

  1. Write a paragraph about your possessions using "have got." Include at least 5 sentences.

Example: I have got a lot of books on my bookshelf. I have got some novels, some biographies, and some travel guides. I have also got a collection of DVDs and some board games. In my closet, I have got a lot of clothes and shoes. I have got some dresses, some jeans, and some skirts. I have got a lot of shoes in different colors and styles. Overall, I have got a lot of things that I enjoy and that make my life more comfortable and interesting.

I hope these examples and exercises help you understand the differences between "have got" and "have" in English.

No comments:

Post a Comment