Wednesday, April 12, 2023

Must,can.may,might: how certain?

 The modal auxiliary verbs "must," "may," "can," and "might" can be used together to express varying degrees of certainty or possibility. Here are some general guidelines for their use:

  1. "Must" is used to express a high degree of certainty or a strong deduction based on evidence.
  • Example: The road is closed, so there must be an accident.
  1. "May" is used to express a possibility or a likelihood based on some evidence or knowledge.
  • Example: I may have left my keys at the office.
  1. "Can" is used to express a possibility or an ability.
  • Example: I can lift this box easily.
  1. "Might" is used to express a possibility or uncertainty.
  • Example: It might rain later today.

Here are some exercises to practice using these modal auxiliary verbs together:

  1. Complete the sentences with the appropriate modal auxiliary verb:
  • I __________ have left my phone at the restaurant. (may/must/can/might)
  • You __________ pass the test if you study hard. (can/might/may/must)
  • He __________ be running late, I haven't heard from him. (can/may/must/might)
  • They __________ have already left for the airport. (can/may/might/must)
  1. Write sentences based on the prompts using the appropriate modal auxiliary verb:
  • (high degree of certainty) She lost her keys, so she ____________ have left them at the store.
  • (possibility) I ____________ go to the gym later if I finish my work on time.
  • (ability) He ____________ play the piano very well.
  • (uncertainty) The meeting ____________ be postponed due to the weather.

Answers:

  1. may, can, might, may
  2. must, may, can, might

I hope these exercises help you practice using these modal auxiliary verbs together!

No comments:

Post a Comment