Tuesday, April 4, 2023

Do: emphatic auxiliary

 In English, the verb "do" can be used as an emphatic auxiliary to add emphasis or emphasis to a sentence. Here is an explanation of how it works, as well as some examples and exercises to practice using it:

Explanation:

When used as an emphatic auxiliary, "do" is added to a sentence in order to add emphasis or to make a negative sentence. This is most often done in response to a question or statement, in order to indicate agreement, disagreement, or surprise.

For example, if someone asks "Do you like pizza?" you might respond with "I do like pizza" in order to emphasize your liking for it. Alternatively, if someone says "You don't like pizza," you might respond with "I do like pizza" in order to indicate disagreement.

Examples:

  1. Do you speak Spanish? - Yes, I do speak Spanish.
  2. He doesn't like coffee. - Actually, he does like coffee.
  3. I'm not going to the party. - Why not? I thought you were going to go. - I do want to go, but I have other plans.

Exercises:

  1. Complete the following sentences with the correct form of "do":

a) ___________ you like sushi? b) She ___________ speak French fluently. c) They ___________ enjoy watching movies. d) ___________ he play any musical instruments? e) We ___________ need to buy some groceries.

  1. Rewrite the following sentences using "do" for emphasis:

a) She likes to read books. --> ________________________________________________________________________ b) They study English every day. --> ________________________________________________________________________ c) He knows how to swim. --> __________________________________________________________________________ d) I can speak three languages. --> _______________________________________________________________________ e) She doesn't want to go to the party. --> ___________________________________________________________________

  1. Write a conversation between two people using "do" as an emphatic auxiliary. Include at least 5 sentences.

Example: Person 1: I heard you're not a fan of horror movies. Person 2: Actually, I do like horror movies. Person 1: Really? I thought you said you didn't. Person 2: Well, I used to not like them, but I do now. Person 1: That's interesting. What changed your mind? Person 2: I watched a really good one recently and it changed my perspective. Person 1: Wow, I never would have guessed. Maybe we should watch one together sometime. Person 2: I'd be up for that. Let me know when you want to watch one.

I hope these examples and exercises help you understand how to use "do" as an emphatic auxiliary in English.

No comments:

Post a Comment