Monday, September 8, 2014

 The little Red Hen

 Once upon a time, not so very long ago, there were a pig and a duck and a cat and a little red hen who all lived together in a cozy little  house. All day, and every day, the pig just wanted to wallow in his juicy mud puddle, the duck just wanted to swim on her little pond, and the cat just wanted to sit in the sun and wash herself with her red tongue. This left all the work of the house for busy little red hen. 

One day as the little red hen was scratching about in the front yard  , looking for a plump beetle for  her dinner,she came upon a grain of wheat. That gave her an idea. ‘’Who will plant this grain of wheat?’’ she called. ’’Not I,’’ grunted the pig from his puddle. ’’Not I,’’ quacked the duck from her pond. ‘’Not I,’’ purred the cat with a wide yawn.’’ Very well, I will then,’’ –said the little red red hen. 
And she did. 

The grain of wheat sprouted, and it grew, and it grew until it was tall and golden and ripe.’’ Who will cut the wheat?’’ called the little red hen.’’ 
Not I,’’ grunted the pig from his puddle. Not  I , quacked  the duck from her pond. Not I purred  the cat  with a flip of her red tongue. Very well,  will then. And she did. Soon the grains of wheat were all ready to be ground into flour. Who will take the wheat to the mill? Called the little red hen. Not I , grunted the pig from his puddle. Not I , quacked the duck from her pond. Not, I , purred the cat with a toss of her head. 
Very well, I will then, said the little red hen. And she did.  When the wheat came back from the mill, it was a little sack of fine wheat flour. 
Who will make the flour into bread? Called the little red hen. Not I, grunted the pig from his puddle. Not I , quacked the duck from her pond. Not I , purred the cat, stoking her whiskers. 
Very well, I will then, said the little red hen. And she did. Soon the little red hen was taking from the oven the most beautiful crusty brown loaf of bread. 
Who will eat the bread? She called. I will, grunted the pig, scrambling up from his puddle. I will, quacked the duck, paddling in from her pond. I will, purred the cat, with one last quick lick at her paws. 
Oh, no you won’t, said the little red hen. I found  the grain of wheat. I planted the seed. I reaped the ripe grain. I took it to the mill. I baked the bread. I shall eat it myself. 
And she did.








No comments:

Post a Comment