Friday, September 19, 2014

Following you will find the same line of stories as before. It is taken from the bedtime story collection. Hope you enjoy reading it.



   The stray, the coal, and the bean


There was once an old woman who picked a mess of beans and made ready to cook them. She built a coal fire on her hearth, with a handful of straw to make it burn better. When the water in the beanpot began to bubble, one of the beans popped out and fell to the hearth. Near it lay a straw, which had fallen there, and soon a red-hot coal jumped out of the fire and joined them. The straw was the first to speak. How did you come here? He asked. I jumped out of the fire, answered the coal. 
If I hadn’t I should certainly have been burned to ashes. If the old woman had kept me in the pot, said the bean, I should have been cooked to pulp. My fate would have been no better, said the straw. All my brothers have turned to fire and smoke, and I would have been with them if I had not slipped through the old woman’s fingers.What shall we do now? Said the coal. I suggest that we go out into the world together answered the bean, since we have all been so lucky as to escape with our lives. The others agreed to this, and all three started out together. Soon they came to a tiny brook, without a bridge or stepping stones. They could not think how to get to the other side until the straw said: I will lay myself across, and you can go over me as if I were a bridge. Then the straw stretched himself from bank to bank, and the coal trotted out on the new bridge. When he got to the center, below suddenly filled him with terror, and he could not go another step. Gradually the straw got hotter and hotter and , until it charred and broke in two and fell in the brook. The  coal slipped down, hissing into the water and disappeared. The bean, which had been waiting on the bank, could not help laughing at this funny sight. 
It laughed and laughed until it burst. And would  have been the end of the bean, if the tailor traveling from town to town had not stopped to rest himself by the brook. He picked up the bean , took out a stout needle and black thread , and stitched it together again. And ever since, all beans have had a black seam.


No comments:

Post a Comment