Tuesday, January 7, 2025

Have and Have got

 Unit 9  have and have got 

Mësimi 9  Folja kam 

 

  1. have and have got (= for possession, relationships, illnesses, appointments, etc.)  

folja kam (= për pronësi, marrëdhënie, sëmundje, takime, etj.) 

 

You can use have or have got. There is no difference in meaning. You can say:  

Ju mund të përdorni have ose have got. Nuk ka asnjë ndryshim në kuptim. Ju mund të thoni: 

  • They have a new car.  or  They’ve got a new car.  

  • Lisa has two brothers.  or  Lisa has got two brothers.  

  • I have a headache.  or  I’ve got a headache.  

  • Our house has a small yard.  or  Our house has got a small yard.  

  • He has a few problems.  or  He’s got a few problems.  

  • I have a driving lesson tomorrow.  or  I’ve got a driving lesson tomorrow.  

 

With these meanings (possession, etc.), we do not use continuous forms (I’m having, etc.):  

Me këto kuptime (pronësi, etj.), nuk përdorim format e vazhduara: 

  • We’re enjoying our vacation. We have / We’ve got a nice room in the hotel. (not We’re having a nice room)  

 

For the past we use had (usually without got):  

Për të shkuarën përdorim kisha (zakonisht pa got): 

  • Hannah had long hair when she was a child. (not Hannah had got) 

 

 

  1. In questions and negative sentences there are two possible forms:  

Në pyetjet dhe fjalitë negative ndodhen dy forma të mundshme: 

 

or 

Do you have any questions?  

Have you got any questions?  

 

 

or 

I don’t have any questions.  

I haven’t got any questions.  

 

 

or 

Does she have a car? 

Has she got a car? 

 

or 

She doesn’t have a car.  

She hasn’t got a car.  

 

In past questions and negative sentences, we use did/didn’t:  

Në pyetjet dhe fjalitë negative ku flasim për të shkuarën, përdorim did/didn’t: 

  • Did you have a car when you were living in Miami?  

  • I didn’t have my phone, so I couldn’t call you.  

  • Liz had long hair, didn’t she? 

 

 

  1. have breakfast / have trouble / have a good time, etc.  

 

We also use have (but not have got) for things we do or experience. For example:  

Gjithashtu përdorim foljen kam (pa got) për gjëra që bëjmë apo përjetojmë. Për shembull: 

 

 

 

have 

 

 

breakfast / dinner / a cup of coffee / something to eat, etc.  

a party / a vacation  

an accident / an experience / a dream  

a good trip / a good flight / a good time  

fun / trouble / difficulty  

a look (at something)  

a chat / a discussion / a conversation / a talk (with somebody)  

a baby (= give birth to a baby) / an operation 

 

Have got is not possible in these expressions. Compare: 

Have got nuk është e mundur në këto shprehje. Krahasoni:  

  • Sometimes I have (= eat) a sandwich for lunch. (not I’ve got)  

but  I’ve got / I have some sandwiches. Would you like one?  

 

You can use continuous forms (I’m having, etc.) with these expressions: 

Ju mund të përdorni format e vazhduara me këto shprehje: 

  • We’re enjoying our vacation. We’re having a great time.  

  • Mike is having trouble with his car. He often has trouble with his car.  

 

In questions and negative sentences, we use do/does/did:  

Në pyetjet dhe fjalitë negative, përdorim do/does/did: 

  • I don’t usually have a big breakfast. (not I usually haven’t)  

  • Where does Chris usually have lunch?  

  • Did you have trouble finding somewhere to stay? (not Had you) 

……………………………………………………………………………………………………….…………Exercises  ~  Ushtrime 

  1. Which goes with which?  

Cilat nga këto fjali lidhen me njëra-tjetrën? 

  1. I’m not free tomorrow morning.  

  1. Rachel is an only child.  

  1. We’ve got plenty of time.  

  1. You’ve got a really good voice.  

  1. I don’t feel very well this morning.  

  1. Megan went to college.  

  1. I’ve got a question. 

  1. James has got a lot of experience.  

 

  1. She has a degree in physics.  

  1. I’ve got a sore throat.  

  1. There’s no need to hurry.  

  1. I’ve got a driving lesson.  

  1. Maybe you can answer it.  

  1. I think he should get the job.  

  1. I wish I could sing as well as you.  

  1. She hasn’t got any brothers or sisters. 

1 ____ 

2 ____ 

3 ____ 

4 ____ 

5 ____ 

6 ____ 

7 ____ 

8 ____ 

 

 

  1. Complete the sentences using have. 

Plotësoni fjalitë duke përdorur foljen kam. 

  1. She couldn’t get into the house. She didn’t have a key.  

  1. Is there anything you’d like to ask? Do you have any questions?  

  1. They can’t pay their bills. They __________________ any money.  

  1. We got wet in the rain yesterday. We ____________________ an umbrella.  

  1. Jack _________________ a car. He can’t afford one, and he can’t drive anyway.  

  1. “Excuse me, __________________ a pen I could borrow?” “Yes, sure. Here you go.”  

  1. I was very busy yesterday. I ____________________ time to go shopping.  

  1. “Tell me about Jack. __________________ a job?” “Yes, he works at the hospital.”  

  1. When you worked at your last job, _________________ your own office?  

  1. “Where’s the remote control?” “I don’t know. I ____________________________ it.  

  1. “Tom _______________ a motorcycle _______________ he?” “Yes, a long time ago. He doesn’t have one now.” it.” 

 

  1. Are the underlined words OK? Change them where necessary.  

A janë në rregull fjalët e nënvizuara? Ndryshojini aty ku është e nevojshme. 

  1. I’m not free tomorrow morning. I’ve got a driving lesson.  

  1. Rachel had got long hair when she was a child.  

  1. I couldn’t contact you because I hadn’t my phone.  

  1. “Are you feeling OK?” “No, I’m having a cold.”  

  1. This party is great. I’m having a good time.  

  1. I felt really tired. I hadn’t any energy.  

  1. It’s a small town. It doesn’t have many stores.  

  1. Was your trip OK? Had you any problems?  

  1. My friend called me when I was having lunch.  

  1. The last time I saw Steve, he was having a beard.  

  1. We don’t need to hurry. We have plenty of time.  

  1. Have you breakfast every day? 

OK 

Rachel had long hair  

____________________ 

____________________ 

____________________ 

____________________ 

____________________ 

____________________ 

____________________ 

____________________ 

____________________ 

____________________ 

 

 

  1. Complete the sentences. Use an expression with have in the correct form. Choose from:  

Plotësoni fjalitë. Përdorni një shprehje me foljen kam në formën e duhur. Zgjidhni nga: 

have a baby 

have a look 

have a bad dream 

have lunch  

have a chat 

have a party 

have trouble 

have a nice time 

have a good trip 

have a vacation  

 

  1. I don’t eat much during the day. I never have lunch.  

  1. I didn’t sleep well last night. I _________________ about my exam.  

  1. We ___________________ last week. We invited lots of people.  

  1. Excuse me. Can I _________________ at your magazine, please?  

  1. Joe is away on vacation right now. I hope he ______________________ 

  1. I met some friends in the supermarket yesterday. We stopped and ___________________  

  1. “ ____________________ finding the book you wanted?” “No, I found it OK.”  

  1. Lauren ______________________ a few weeks ago. It’s her second child.  

  1. “I’m leaving for Hawaii in a few hours.” “That’s great! ___________________________!”  

  1. I’d like to go away somewhere. I ___________________________ for a long time. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment