Friday, March 13, 2020

Dear students,

I would like to suggest you   starting together a page on which we should present some grammar rules and try to avoid certain mistakes.
Let's call this page: " How not to make 100 mistakes!" You can change this name any time you like. Just simply suggest a better one.
I know from my experience that it is difficult to learn a language through rules. Personally, I wouldn't advice you that but if I were you, time and again I'd dare read some great grammar lessons of  famous  authors like Michael Swan. Following you will find ten of them and in case you find them useful, let me know.
I encourage you to add certain rules you like.

Sincerely
fm


GOLDEN GRAMMAR RULES
By Michael Swan
1. Don’t use an with own.
Sue needs her own room. (NOT Sue needs an own room.)
I’d like a phone line of my own. (NOT … an own phone line.)

2. Use or rather to correct yourself.
She’s German – or rather, Austrian. (NOT She’s German – or better, Austrian.)
I’ll see you on Friday – or rather, Saturday.

3. Use the simple present – play(s), rain(s) etc – to talk about habits and repeated actions.
play tennis every Saturday. (NOT I am playing tennis every Saturday.)
It usually rains a lot in November. 

4. Use will …, not the present, for offers and promises.
I’ll cook you supper this evening. (NOT I cook you supper this evening.)
I promise I’ll phone you tomorrow. (NOT I promise I phone you tomorrow.)

5. Don’t drop prepositions with passive verbs.
I don’t like to be shouted at. (NOT I don’t like to be shouted.)
This needs to be thought about some more. (NOT This needs to be thought some more.)

6. Don’t use a present tense after It’s time.
It’s time you went home. (NOT It’s time you go home.)
It’s time we invited Bill and Sonia. (NOT It’s time we invite Bill and Sonia.)

7. Use was/were born to give dates of birth.
was born in 1975. (NOT I am born in 1975.)
Shakespeare was born in 1564. 

8. Police is a plural noun.
The police are looking for him. (NOT The police is looking for him.)
I called the police, but they were too busy to come.

9. Don't use the to talk about things in general.
Books are expensive. (NOT The books are expensive.)
I love music. (NOT I love the music.)

10. Use had better, not have better.
I think you’d better see the doctor. (NOT I think you have better see the doctor.)
We’d better ask John to help us. 

No comments:

Post a Comment