Friday, December 1, 2023

Avenge; and revenge; Back and again: Bath and Bathe

  16. Avenge and revenge 

• Incorrect: I must revenge my father. 

• Correct: I must avenge my father.

• Incorrect: I must revenge my enemy. 

• Correct: I must take revenge on my enemy. These two words are often confused. To 'avenge my father' means to ‘punish someone who has hurt my father’.


 17. Back and again 

When used with a verb, back suggests a return to an earlier situation or a movement in the opposite direction. 

• Give me my watch back. (NOT Give me my watch again.)

 • Take your money back. 

• Put the book back on the shelf when you have finished with it.

 • These mangoes aren't good. I am taking them back to the shop. When used with a verb, again suggests repetition. 

• I did not hear what you said. 

Please say it again. 

• That was a lovely song. Can you play it again? 


18. Bath and bathe 

In British English, the verb bath is used to mean 'wash oneself in a bath tub'.

 • Children should bath regularly. 

The verb bath is not used in American English. Instead, the expressions 'have a bath' or 'take a bath' are used. 

• As I was feeling hot, I took a bath. In British English, bathe means 'swim for pleasure'. It is very formal. 

In an informal style, we use the expressions 'have a swim' or 'go for a swim'.

 • He said he had a good bathe. 

In American English, bathe is used to mean 'take a bath'. 

• I always bathe before I go to bed. (= I always take a bath before I go to bed.) 

Note that to lie in the sun is to sunbathe.


No comments:

Post a Comment