Wednesday, November 29, 2023

120 Grammar lessons

 13. Article a – correct use 

The article 'a' placed in front of a noun conveys the idea of 'one'. When writing about two separate objects, a second 'a' must be used. 

If the two objects are considered as one, then the second 'a' may be left out.

 • Incorrect: I have a hammer and chisel. 

• Correct: I have a hammer and a chisel. (Here we are talking about two separate objects.)

 • Incorrect: She has a son and daughter. 

• Correct: She has a son and a daughter. 

• Incorrect: The mechanic used a block and a tackle to lift the machine. 

• Correct: The mechanic used a block and tackle to lift the machine. (Here we are talking about one object.) 


14. Ask and ask for 

Ask for: ask somebody to give something 

Ask: ask somebody to tell something 

• He asked me for a loan. (NOT He asked me a loan.)

 • They asked ten dollars for the book. 

• If you don't know the answer, ask the teacher. • Don't ask me my name. (NOT Don’t ask me for my name)  


15. At first and first 

At first is used to talk about the beginning of a situation. 

It is often followed by but. 

In other cases, we usually use first.

 • At first everything seemed fine, but then things started going wrong. 

• I first met her at a restaurant. 

No comments:

Post a Comment