Friday, December 15, 2023

120 Grammar lessons 35-36-37

 35. Cloth and clothes 

Cloth is the material used for making clothes. 

Clothes are things you wear. 

• His clothes are made of expensive cloth. 


36. Collective nouns


 Group words or collective nouns take a singular verb if you are talking of the group as a whole. 

They take a plural verb if you are talking about the individual members of the group. 

Compare: 

• The jury is in the courtroom. (Here we are talking about the whole group.) 

• The jury are still debating the case.

 (Here we are talking about the individual members of the group.)

 Note: 

Collective nouns are always singular in American English. 


37. Come and go


 Come is used for movements to the place where the speaker or hearer is. 

• Come to me. (Movement towards the speaker) 

• 'Alice, can you come here?' 'Yes, I am coming.' (NOT I am going.) 

• Can I come and sit beside you? 

(Movement towards the hearer) Go is used for movements to other places. 

• Let's go and see them. (NOT Let's come and see them.) 

• I want to go and live in the hills. (NOT I want to come and live in the hills.) 

No comments:

Post a Comment