Monday, December 11, 2023

120 Grammar lessons 29-31

 29. Big, large and great 


We use big and large with concrete nouns - the names of objects which we can see or touch. 

In an informal style, big is more common than large. 

• He has got big / large feet. 

• They have a large / big house in the city. 

We use great with abstract nouns - the names of things which we cannot see or touch.

 • I think it was a great mistake.

 • I have great respect for him.

 In an informal style big is also used with countable abstract nouns. 

Large is not used with abstract nouns. 

• I think it was a big mistake. (BUT NOT I think it was a large mistake.) 

None of these three words are used with uncountable nouns.

 • I have got a lot of luggage. (NOT I have got big/large/great luggage.)


30. Born and borne 


The passive form of the verb born (be + born) is used to talk about coming into the world at birth. 

• He was born to poor parents. 

• I was born on a Friday. 

• She was born in Italy. 

Borne is the past participle form of the verb bear. 

It is sometimes used to mean 'give birth to' or 'carry'.

 • She has borne eight children. (= She has given birth to eight children.) 


31. Bring and take 


• Incorrect: I don't know what to bring when I leave for the conference.

• Correct: I don't know what to take when I leave for the conference.

 • Incorrect: I shall bring my wife with me when I go.

 • Correct: I shall take my wife with me when I go.

 • Incorrect: Take that book to me at my desk. 

• Correct: Bring that book to me at my desk. 

Use bring when something is being moved towards the speaker.

 • Bring me that book. 

Use take when something is being moved away from the area of the speaker. 

• Take that file with you. (Here the file is being moved away from the area of the speaker.)

No comments:

Post a Comment