Friday, March 29, 2024

 107. Thank you and please

 • Incorrect: 'I have a bad headache.' 'Please? 

• Correct: 'I have a bad headache.' 'I beg your pardon.' 

To ask people what they have said, we use

 'I beg your pardon' (formal) or 'sorry' (informal).

 ‘Please' cannot be used with this meaning. 

• Incorrect: 'Have you got a pen I could use?' 'Yes, please.' 

• Correct: 'Have you got a pen I could use?' 'Yes, here you are.'

We do not use please when we give things to people.

 • Incorrect: 'Thanks a lot!' 'Please' 

• Correct: 'Thanks a lot!' 'That's OK' Please is not used as a reply to 'thanks/thank you'. 

If a reply is necessary, we may say

 'Not at all' (rather formal), 

'You are welcome', 

'Don't mention it',

'That's all right' or 

'That's OK' (very informal).  

• Incorrect: 'Will you have some coffee?' 'No, please.' 

• Correct: 'Will you have some coffee?' 'Yes, please.' 

• Correct: 'Will you have some coffee?' 

'No, thank you.' 'No, please' is always wrong.

 'Yes, please' and 'No, thank you' are the polite replies when accepting and declining an offer. 


No comments:

Post a Comment