Monday, March 4, 2024

 84. Nouns with no plural forms 

Some nouns do not have a plural form.

 Examples are: scenery, furniture, wheat, dust, silverware, information, news, luggage, bread, advice, chess, chewing gum, equipment, grass, permission, publicity, rubbish, traffic etc. 

• Switzerland is known for its scenery. (NOT Switzerland is known for its sceneries.)

 • We bought some furniture yesterday. (NOT We bought some furnitures yesterday.)

 • Have you received any information? (NOT Have you received any informations?)

 • I packed my luggage. (NOT I packed my luggages.) 

• There are no loaves in this shop. (NOT There are no breads in this shop.) 

Nouns that do not have a plural form are usually treated as uncountable nouns. Most uncountable nouns have countable equivalents. 

Advice (uncountable) - a piece of advice (countable) Bread (uncountable) - a piece of bread / a loaf / a roll Equipment - a piece of equipment / a tool Baggage - a piece of baggage Furniture - a piece of furniture / an article of furniture Grass - a blade of grass Information - a piece of information Lightning - a flash of lightning Luck - a bit of luck / a stroke of luck News - a piece of news Poetry - a poem Travel - a journey / a trip Work - a piece of work / a job

 • We bought a piece of furniture yesterday. (NOT We bought a furniture yesterday.) 

• We heard a piece of news. (NOT We heard a news.)

 • I need a piece of equipment to fix this. OR I need a tool to fix this. (NOT I need an equipment to fix this.) • I am learning a new poem. (NOT I am learning a new poetry.) 

• He gave me some advice. OR He gave me a piece of advice. (NOT He gave me an advice.) 

No comments:

Post a Comment