Tuesday, February 13, 2024

 72. Lie and lay 


• Incorrect: Dad has laid on the sofa all morning. 

• Correct: Dad has lain on the sofa all morning.

 • Incorrect: Mother says she has already lain the table. 

• Correct: Mother says she has already laid the table. 

• Incorrect: The book was lain on the table. 

• Correct: The book was laid on the table. 

• Incorrect: I would like to lay in the sun. 

• Correct: I would like to lie in the sun. 


To lie means to rest. Its different forms are given below: 

Infinitivelie; -ing form: lyingPast tenselayPast participlelain 

• I lie on the bed. 

• I am lying on the bed. 

• I was lying on the bed. 

• I lay on the bed. 

• I have lain on the bed. 


To lie also means ‘to not tell the truth’. Its different forms are given below: 

Infinitivelie; -ing formlying; past tense: liedpast participle: lied 

• I lie. • I am lying. • I was lying. • I lied. • I have lied.

 To lay means ‘to put something down.’


 Its different forms are: Infinitivelay-ing formlayingpast tenselaid; past participlelaid 


• I lay the plate on the table. 

• I am laying the plate on the table. 

• I was laying the plate on the table. 

• I laid the plate on the table. 

• I have laid the plate on the table. 


No comments:

Post a Comment