Wednesday, February 28, 2024

 81. Nominative and objective case 

Pronouns that are used as subjects of verbs are: I, he, she, we, they and you 

• Neither Alice nor I like the opera. (NOT Neither Alice nor me like the opera. 

Here the pronouns Alice and I are part of the subject.) Pronouns that are used as objects of verbs or prepositions are: me, him, her, us, them and you

Note that you do not change its form. 

• I tackled him. (NOT I tackled he. Here him is the object of the verb tackled.) 

 • She sat above me. (NOT She sat above I. Here me is the object of the preposition above.) 

• Between you and me there are few secrets. (NOT Between you and I there are few secrets. 

Here the pronouns you and me are the objects of the preposition between.)

 • There are no problems between him and her. (NOT There are no problems between he and she.) 

• Let you and me do it. (NOT Let you and I do it. Here you and me are the objects of the verb let.) 

• He has given great trouble to my father and me. (NOT He has given great trouble to my father and I. Here my father and I are the objects of the preposition to.)

 Grammarians formerly used to recommend that a pronoun used as the complement of the verb be (is/am/are/was/were), should be in the nominative (subject) form. 

Today the use of the nominative form in such cases is considered extremely formal and over-correct.

 Instead, we use the objective form. 

• It is me. (More natural than It is I.) 

• That was him. (More natural than That was he.) 


No comments:

Post a Comment