Saturday, November 19, 2022

Unit 6 Past Continuous (I was doing)

  

Unit 6  Past Continuous (I was doing) 

Mësimi 6  E shkuara e vazhduar (Unë isha duke bërë) 

 

  1. Study this example situation:  

Studioni këtë shembull situate: 

 

Yesterday Karen and Joe played tennis. They started at 10:00 and finished at 11:30. So, at 10:30 they were playing tennis.  

Dje Karen dhe Joe luajtën tenis. Ata filluan në 10:00 dhe përfunduan në 11:30. Kështu, në 10:30 ata ishin duke luajtur tenis. 

 

they were playing = they were in the middle of playing, they had not finished  

ata ishin duke luajtur = ata ishin në mes të të luajturit, ata nuk kishin përfunduar 

 

 

 

was/were + -ing is the past continuous:  

isha/ishe (etj.) + -ing është koha e shkuar e vazhduar në gjuhën Angleze: 

 

he/she/it 

was 

playing 

doing 

working, etc. 

we/you/they 

were 

 

 

  1. I was doing something = I was in the middle of doing it at a certain time. The action or situation started before this time but had not finished:  

Isha duke bërë diçka = isha në mes të të bërit diçka në një kohë të caktuar. Veprimi apo situate filloi më parë se kjo kohë por nuk kishte përfunduar. 

 

 

 

  • This time last year I was living in Hong Kong.  

  • What were you doing at 10:00 last night?  

  • I waved to Hannah, but she wasnt looking 

 

 

  1. Compare I was doing (past continuous) and I did (simple past):  

Krahasoni Isha duke bërë (e shkuara e vazhduar) dhe Unë bëra (e kryer e thjeshtë): 

 

I was doing (= in the middle of an action)  

Isha duke bërë (=në mes të një veprimi) 

  • We were walking home when we met Dan. (in the middle of walking home)  

(në mes të të ecurit për në shtëpi 

  • Kate was watching TV when we arrived. I did (= complete action 

(=veprim i përfunduar 

I did (= complete action) 

Bëra (=veprim i përfunduar) 

  • We walked home after the party last night. (= all the way, completely) 

(=gjatë gjithë rrugës) 

  • Kate watched TV a lot when she was sick last year.  

 

 

  1. You can say that something happened (simple past) in the middle of something else (past continuous): 

Ju mund të thoni që diçka ndodhi (e kryer e thjeshtë) në mes të diçkaje tjetër (e shkuara e vazhduar):  

  • Matt called while we were having dinner.  

  • It was raining when I got up.  

  • I saw you in the park yesterday. You were sitting on the grass and reading a book.  

  • I hurt my back while I was working in the yard.  

 

But we use the simple past to say that one thing happened after another:  

Por përdorim të kryerën e thjeshtë për të thënë që diçka ndodhi pas një gjëje tjetër. 

  • I was walking along the road when I saw Dan. So I stopped, and we talked for a while.  

 

Compare:  

Krahasoni: 

  • When Karen arrived, we were having dinner. (= we had already started before she arrived)  

(= tashmë kishim filluar para se ajo arriti) 

  • When Karen arrived, we had dinner. (= Karen arrived, and then we had dinner)  

(= Karen arriti, dhe më pas ne darkuam) 

 

 

  1. Some verbs (for example, know and want) are not normally used in continuous forms (is + -ing; was + -ing etc.).  

Disa folje (për shembull, di dhe dua) nuk përdoren normalisht në format e vazhduara (jam etj. + -ing; isha etj.+ -ing etj.).  

  • We were good friends. We knew each other well. (not we were knowing) 

  • I was enjoying the party, but Chris wanted to go home. (not was wanting) 

 

…………………………………………………………………………………………………………………..………… 

Exercises  ~  Ushtrime 

 

  1. Complete the sentences. Choose from:  

Plotësoni fjalitë. Zgjidhni nga: 

was looking             was wearing             wasnt listening          werent looking 

was snowing            was working            were sitting                 were you going  

 

  1. Today Hannah is wearing a skirt. Yesterday she was wearing pants.  

  1. What did he say?    I dont know. I ______________________. 

  1. We ______________ in the back of the theater. We couldnt hear very well.  

  1. This time last year John ________________ on a farm.  

  1. They didnt see me. They _________________ in my direction.  

  1. The weather was bad. It was very cold, and it ___________________  

  1. I saw you in your car. Where ________________________ ? 

  1. I saw Kate a few minutes ago. She ___________________ for you. 

 

  1. Which goes with which?  

Cilat nga këto fjali lidhen me njëra-tjetrën? 

 

When I got to the cafe,  

We fell asleep  

3  Amy learned Italian  

4  Tom didnt come out with us  

5  The car began to make a strange noise  

The TV was on, 

7  When I first met Jessica, 

 

a  when she was living in Rome.  

b  she was working in a clothing store.  

c  when I was driving home.  

d  but nobody was watching it.  

e  while we were watching a movie.  

f  my friends were waiting for me.  

g  because he wasnt feeling well. 

1   f_ 

2 ___ 

3 ___ 

4 ___ 

5 ___ 

6 ___ 

7 ___ 

 

  1. Put the verb into the correct form, past continuous or simple past. 

Vendosni foljen në formën e duhur, në të shkuarën e vazhduar ose në të kryerën e thjeshtë. 

 

Graphical user interface

Description automatically generated 

 

   saw    (see) Sue downtown yesterday, but she ___________  (not/see) me. She ____________ (look) the other way.  

 

I _____________ (ride) my bike home yesterday when a man_____________ (step) out into the road in front of me. I________________ (go) pretty fast, but luckily I ______________ (manage) to stop in time, and I _______________ (not/hit) him. 

 

 

  1. Put the verb into the correct form, past continuous or simple past.  

Vendosni foljen në formën e duhur, në të shkuarën e vazhduar ose në të kryerën e thjeshtë 

  1. Jen   was waiting   (wait) for me when I   arrived    (arrive).  

  1. What ___________ (you/do) at this time yesterday?    I was asleep.  

  1. _____________(you/go) out last night?     No, I was too tired.  

  1. How fast ____________ (you/drive) when the accident _________ (happen)?  

  1. Sam _________ (take) a picture of me while _________ (not/look).  

  1. We were in a very difficult position. We _________ (not/know) what to do, so we _________ (do) nothing.  

  1. I havent seen Josh for ages. When I last ___________ (see) him, he ________ (try) to find a job.  

  1. I _________ (walk) along the street when suddenly I ________ (hear) something behind me. Somebody __________ (follow) me. I was scared, and I _______ (start) to run.  

  1. When I was young, I_______(want) to be a pilot. Later I_______(change) my mind. 

  1. Last night _______ (drop) a plate when I ________ (do) the dishes. Fortunately, it ________ (not/break).  

No comments:

Post a Comment