Sunday, October 24, 2021

REMEMBER AND FORGET

 paf24.10.2021


Per te bere dallimet midis ketyre dy foljeve edhe perdorimeve te tyre shikoni me kujdes mesimin  e meposhtem.

fm

REMEMBER AND FORGET
These two verbs have different meanings depending on whether they are followed by a GERUND or an INFINITIVE. Even very advanced English learners sometimes make mistakes with these verbs!

Take a look at these examples with the verb FORGET:
1. I forgot posting the birthday card to my mother so I was surprised when she called me to say thank you.

2. I forgot to post the birthday card to my mother so I apologised on the telephone when I called to wish her Happy Birthday.
In sentence 1, with FORGOT + GERUND, the actions happened in this order: First, I posted the birthday card but then second, I forgot that I had done it. So my mother received the card because I had posted it.
In sentence 2, with FORGOT + INFINITIVE the actions happened in this order: First, I forgot and second, I did not post the birthday card. So mother did not receive it on her birthday. 
The verb REMEMBER has the same grammar, as you can see here:
3. I remember telling him about the meeting, so I am surprised that he did not attend.
4. I’m glad I remembered to tell him about the meeting because it was important for him to attend.
In sentence 3, with REMEMBER + GERUND, it happened in this order: First, I told him about the meeting and then second, I remembered that I had done it.
In sentence 4, with REMEMBER + INFINITIVE, the order was as follows: First I remembered and second, I told him about the meeting. 


So this is the grammar rule:

REMEMBER/FORGET + GERUND means THE GERUND ACTION HAPPENS FIRST.
REMEMBER/FORGET + INFINITIVE means THE INFINTIVE ACTION HAPPENS SECOND.
Now let’s check your understanding of this grammar point. Can you decide which form of the verb in brackets (…) goes in each of these sentences?
5. I forgot (lock) the front door of my house, so it was easy for the burglars to enter.
6. Did you remember (turn off) the lights when you left the house this morning?
7. I forget (meet) him at your party so you will have to introduce us again.
8. I remember (play) in the garden a lot when I was a child.

No comments:

Post a Comment