Tuesday, October 7, 2014

The lion and the mouse

One day as the lion lay sleeping in his lair, a little mouse, not knowing where he was going, ran over the lion’s nose. With a roar the lion awoke, and clapped his paw over the tiny creature. 

Now I shall kill you, worthless little mouse, thundered the lion. Oh, good sir, squeaked the frightened little mouse. 
I meant no harm, I assure you. Nothing was further from my thoughts than to disturb your majesty. 
Please spare my life, for I am not even worthy of your attention. 

The lion, smiling at his little prisoner’s fright, lifted his paw and watched the mouse scamper away.  
Months later, the lion was ranging the woods, staliking his prey, when he fell into a running trap made of ropes and placed there by hunters. I can never escape, thought the unhappy lion, threshing about hopelessly. Oh, woe is me, And he set up a roar that filled the jungle with its echo. 
The little mouse , scampering about his own little business, recognized the voice of lion who had spared his life and ran to the spot. 
Without wasting a moment, the mouse set to work nibbling the ropes that held the lion. And before the hunters came to inspect their trap was free. 
I thank you, good mouse, said the lion. I see now that any kindness we can do is always worth while. I shall remember the lesson you have taught me.



No comments:

Post a Comment